The Story of Lillian Akot

The story you are about to read truly represents the experiences that nearly all of these Acholi survivors have endured. They have been through more in their lives than any of us can imagine. Yet, they somehow find incredible strength and hope through their strong faith. Even though they have some safety now from rebel attacks, they live in conditions that are not sustainable and once again place them in a fight for survival.
They deserve the simple essentials in life, which they cannot currently access. In short, they need a new place to call home, A Place of Refuge.
The stories we will be publishing in the weeks to come are entirely factual and are written unedited in the voice of these survivors.
Please be aware that these are emotionally sensitive and graphic depictions of their struggles.
Also, the photographs you will see are all originals taken of these people and their living conditions.

This is the story of Lillian:

In 1988 I was 18 years old and got married to my husband Peter who was 29 years old. He was training in Gulu hospital to be a lab technician. My cousin was also in this program and I used to visit her. This is how we met. After we were married we moved to Lugazi hospital where my husband was working. My husband died of cancer in 1993 from Lacho Hospital in Northern Uganda and then was taken to be buried in Kitgum. Unbeknown to me at the time, he was also HIV positive. I headed back to my home in Gulu with a three-year-old boy and a one-year-old girl. Life was not easy and then when the LRA war started we were moved to an IDP camp called Koro. In the early part of 1994, I went to the village to see my father and decided to stay in the village. Little did I know that the rebels were already in place surrounding the village for the night. At 9:00 pm the rebels attacked. They killed my Mother and Father on the spot. My Dad was an electrician and the rebels had asked him to hook them up with something electrical. When he refused he was shot instantly. It was by God’s grace that I wasn’t also killed but they left me alone to mourn. I spent two years more in the IDP camp when a cousin called me to come to the Banda Acholi Quarters.
I remember the day as clear as a bell, January 2, 1996. I traveled with a convoy from the North for safety to Kampala. Today my oldest child is in his second year of University and my daughter is in Senior 6. I’ve worked rolling beads out of paper to make jewelry to sell and any other odd jobs that could be found to support my children in school (school is not free in Uganda). In 2003 I got sick and I tested positive for HIV. Life continued as I tried dealing with my sickness but it wasn’t easy. In 2008 my sister was murdered by her husband and I took in her three children including a baby. Life was not easy but through the assistance of the Jeremiah Women’s Group and Kids Inspiring Kids, the children were adopted to the United States of America in January 2010. I am currently a leader in the Jeremiah Women’s Group where I keep records, interpret and help wherever I’m needed.
At the end of 2009, I was feeling good and decided to go get HIV tested again. The results were negative. I’ve had three more tests since then and all of the results are negative. I have two more tests before they declare me HIV negative with a clean bill of health. I give all the glory to God and I can look forward to a home to call my own in the village knowing that I can live a long and satisfying life.






Learn how you can help Lillian and others like her achieve safety and a place to call home by donating to a Place of Refuge Village.

Visit our website: www.kidsinspire.com

How to Donate
1. You can use our link on this page to donate through PayPal with your choice of funding. This can be as a one-time donation or a recurring payment. Please be aware that this method does result in a 3% surcharge to our organization. Click: DONATE
2. You can mail a check directly to “Kids Inspiring Kids” at 3601 Fowler Drive, Austin, Texas 78738. Please specify “Village Project” in a note or on the check so that we can appropriately direct your funds.
3. You can provide a check to one of our volunteer fundraisers to be deposited directly into the Kids Inspiring Kids account. 

Contact our PR manager Nicole: nicole@kidsinspire.com for more information

Comments