#MothersMatter: The Story of Christine Apio

In honor of Mother's Day this weekend we are taking the time to specifically highlight some amazing mothers that we work with in Uganda, Africa. These stories are told in their voice and in their words.

The Story of Christine Apio:
I am 39 years old and have four children.  I also take care of my brother’s two children who are orphans.  I grew up in Lira with my five brothers and sisters.  My parents were farmers but life was not bad.  It wasn’t bad that is until the rebels came.  I was 18 years old and in Primary 6 (sixth grade).  They killed 3 of my brothers and sisters and abducted me right from school. I attended a “mixed” school of boys and girls but I didn’t know what happened to my friends. I spent one year in the bush.  My job was to welcome new people that had been abducted and I was also used for “entertainment” purposes whenever the Commander told me.  I tried to escape several time but failed.  These resulted in beatings and starvings.  They beat me and rolled me in the mud and beat me again on my wet skin.  I was in so much pain.  I was given the word at some point that my parents were dead and my sister was traumatized because she had witnessed their death.
I waited and waited and then one day I pretended there was no water for drinking.  When I reached the river, I dropped down to my stomach and inched my way over one kilometer to get away.  After crawling for what seemed like hours I stood up and started running. I had cuts and scrapes all over my knees but I ran and ran.  I met an old man and he helped hide me for two days.  He then took me to the military barracks in Lira.  Soldiers surrounded me and I wasn’t sure I was safe but they gave me clothes and things for bathing.
After that I went to my Aunt’s in Lira.  My Aunt did the best she could but since I had been in the bush with the rebels for over a year my Aunt and the people around thought I needed to go through a “Purification” process.  My mind was not stable during this time.  The people put herbs in my mouth and ears.  Crazy as it was I did get better and better as the weeks went by.
Soon I was able to travel.  I was brought to town where I met my husband.  He was a roofer and we lived together as husband and wife even though we didn’t have a formal wedding ceremony.  We had two children and then my husband got a contract for work in the capital city of Kampala.  We moved to the Banda Acholi Quarters, that was four years ago.  We still have land in the North but neither of us feel safe to go back to it.
Our HIV status is unknown at this point and we live one day to the next.  There is not enough food and school fees, especially for the children of my brother, are hard to come by.  I’m excited about the new village, Place of Refuge.  I pray in my heart to God, “If you made me, redeem me”.  A new place to call home with enough sustainability and a better chance for my children is my redemption.

This Mother's Day #MothersMatter
Instead of flowers this Mother's Day, give a gift to your mother, grandmother, aunt, cousin, sister, friend, etc. that not only blesses her, but also impacts a mother half a world away.
Special Mother's Day Offer

Comments