#MothersMatter: The Story of Gloria Akello

In honor of Mother's Day this weekend we are taking the time to specifically highlight some amazing mothers that we work with in Uganda, Africa. These stories are told in their voice and in their words.

The Story of Gloria Akello:

I sometimes wonder at the world.  What would it be like if I were born in a different time, a different place with a different skin color?  I’m only 16 but I feel sometimes like I’ve lived long enough.  My father died as a result of working in the rock quarry.  One day there was a rockslide that fell on him.  He fell sick and spent one month in the hospital.  They said there was nothing more to do so we took him to the village in the North where he shortly died.  This left my mom with seven children to look after including a cousin.  My mom’s only means of support is rolling paper beads to sell.  I was in Primary 6 and while not the best student I was still studying nonetheless.  During one of my holiday times I was back in the Banda Acholi Quarters and started hanging around a boy who was in Senior 1, a few grades higher than me.  We fooled around and I got pregnant as a result.  I’m not proud of what I did but the facts were I was pregnant.  I went full term only to deliver a still-born baby boy.  They let me see him before they took him away and I named him Daniel Nicholas.  He looked sweet but I’m glad he doesn’t have to live the hard life.  I don’t want to go back to regular school.  I’ve seen and done too much at this point and I don’t think it would benefit me.  I instead would like to do a tailoring course but that too takes money.  Money I don’t have.  All I want at this point is to live a better life, a life of purpose and meaning because some days I don’t feel like there is any.  Kids Inspiring Kids started a youth program and I feel that I am loved there.  They talk about a village where we can live a life of purpose, go to school, get medical attention.  I dream about that often and wonder if my life can make a difference.  I believe it can...

This Mother's Day #MothersMatter
Instead of flowers this Mother's Day, give a gift to your mother, grandmother, aunt, cousin, sister, friend, etc. that not only blesses her, but also impacts a mother half a world away.
Special Mother's Day Offer

Comments